Sunday, August 2, 2015

Lay's Wavy West Coast Truffle Fries Flavored Potato Chips


What could possibly get me to break my long hiatus from writing? 2015's Lay's Do Us A Flavor contest. This year the flavors have a theme, regional tastes. I'm going to start with the West Coast Truffle Fries. I do feel like this is a bit of a cheat, making potato chips tasting like fries seems almost a bit lazy, not exactly a feat like making grapes taste like cotton candy.  Okay, okay, the important part isn't that they taste like French fries, but rather the truffle flavoring. Calling it truffle flavoring isn't fair, really, because it actually has black truffle, Romano cheese and duck fat listed in the ingredients. So do the fancy schmancy ingredients work? Meh, sort of. Upon opening the bag and on first bite I thought I had been given regular sour cream and onion chips. It's only on continued eating that that the more subtle, richer flavors shine through. There is an earthy almost silky depth to the flavor. Since I've never sat down and eaten a whole truffle by itself, I can't be certain that it's the truffle I'm tasting, but it does taste like other things that incorporate truffles. You need to let the chip sit on your tongue for a bit to really get the full panoply of flavors. Of course this is how exactly no one eats potato chips so I imagine a lot of people are going to be disappointed when they try it out. Luxury potato chips are kind of like having gem stone studded Crocs, you can enjoy them, but no one is going to impressed and that's not really what they are for. Try them, enjoy them and maybe next year they will have smoked salmon and caviar chips.

Donated by Crystal 
Found at Harris Teeter and Giant


No comments:

Post a Comment