Sunday, August 24, 2014

Alicita Salsa Twist of Japan



Japan, the birthplace of Godzilla, giant robots, pink haired school girls with huge eyes, and plenty of other things I'm being culturally insensitive to. Japan is also know for it's many and varied cuisines that continue to grow in popularity throughout the world. So what makes this salsa "Japan Twisted"? Ginger. Interesting, I would have thought it something more distinctively Japanese like wasabi or Pokemon flavor. Ginger has been known in the West since the 1st century AD. I wasn't even sure where it originated from because pretty much every culture now uses it in their food (southern China, by the way). The Japanese ginger I see most often is the pink slices that are served with sushi and known as Gari. Gari is used to cleanse the palate between pieces of sushi. In salsa the ginger gives it a much smoother taste. There's plenty of zest and tang but it mellows the acidity and spiciness. Makes me wonder why more salsas don't use it. It's not a particularly chunky salsa, the ingredients are mostly blended, but you can still make out what pieces were what. It goes great with chips, and I imagine it would also compliment any dish it was used in. I wouldn't immediately think of Japan when I try this, but I do have to say domo arigato (Mr. Roboto).

Found at Giant

No comments:

Post a Comment