Monday, June 30, 2014

Smoked Baby Back Ribs



I'm going to try something different and show the process I used while making this. Everything was bought at Fresh Market unless stated otherwise.

Here's the plain ribs I bought. Pretty basic three and a half pound rack.
I then coated the underside with Giant brand Dijon mustard. Initially I was following a recipe, but I quickly stopped once I realized it kept telling me to use the chef' s proprietary rubs and sauces. The recipe called for yellow mustard, but I used the Dijon instead because I didn't have any at my Mom's house. The recipe called for the entire thing to be covered in mustard in order to have the rub stick better, but I decided only the bottom needed it because the top was juicy enough.

I then covered the meat with Adams Rib Rubb. It smelled incredible. The temptation to lick my fingers was intense, but I resisted. I may be reckless, but even I know better than to put raw pork juices in my mouth. 

I then put my Royal Oak Hickory Chips in some water to soak.

Then I filled up the wood tray in my preheating smoker.

Once I had it at 225 degrees. I tossed in the meat and then had a martini.

And then another one.

After two hours, I checked on the meat and added more wood chips.

Two and a half more hours and then it was ready.
It broke apart when I tried to move it. The bones kept trying to slide out. Which I'm told is a good thing.

Added some BBQ sauce.

And it was done. Total time five hours, four and a half of them in the smoker and mixing drinks. Absolutely awesome. I'm not a huge fan of ribs, but these blew me away. Definitely need to make them again, and maybe even buy a smoker for myself. And then I had another martini.

No comments:

Post a Comment