Sunday, July 13, 2014

Chimichurri


I'm going to do something a little bit different and share my family's recipe for chimichurri. For those who don't know, chimichurri is an Argentine green sauce made primarily of parsley, garlic, oil, and vinegar. It is traditionally served on steak and sausages, but can also be used as a marinade.
Ingredients:
1 bundle of parsley
1 medium white onion
2 bulbs of garlic
Vegetable or canola oil
1 tsp salt
1 pinch sugar
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp paprika
1 pinch red pepper flakes
Red wine vinegar

Strip the stems from your parsley. It's nearly impossible and way too time consuming to get absolutely all of the small ones, but at least get rid of the thicker part. Peel the garlic. I found garlic from Argentina at Whole Foods, it's not important, but it made me smile. I used a quick way I found on the internet. I crushed the clove with the palm if my hand and then put the pieces in a metal bowl, covered it with another metal bowl and shook vigorously. It really did the trick in less than a minute. Peel and chop the onion. Make sure you have more parsley than onion. A 4:3 ratio is what's family uses. Chop the ingredients finely, you can do it by hand, but a food processor works perfectly and you can put it all in at once. Put your chopped and mixed ingredients into a container. I prefer something taller like a jar, so I can see what's inside and it makes it easier to serve. Pour in the oil until half the mixture is under oil. I used canola oil. Olive oil is traditional, but my family doesn't use it. Time to add your spices, I followed the ingredient list fairly closely, my family generally just eyeballs everything, you should adjust it to your tastes. Finally add the red wine vinegar until the fluid level is just below the surface. Stir, shake whatever you like and voila!  Put it on some steak or use it to top your choripan and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment