Saturday, July 19, 2014

T.O. Williams Capital Half Smoke Sausage



Even though I've lived in the DC metro area for most of my life, I never really had the regional official sausage. This is a great error on my part and one I fully plan to rectify. 

What is a half smoke though? Wikipedia is fairly vague and there are disagreements. Originally they had a half pork and half beef composition and were prepared by smoking them. However they can be all pork or all beef and can be grilled or steamed. The only thing that seems to be consistent is that they are generally coarser than hot dogs and should have a smoky flavor by either natures or artificial means. The ones I found are all pork. These sausages are awesome. Don't let the red color fool you, they aren't spicy. Traditionally they are served with chili, but I like them with chimichurri. I also recommend cooking them on the grill, just a little bit of char on the outside really brings the flavors together. If you can find them at the store and if I haven't bought them all yet, I suggest you pick some up.

Found at Giant

No comments:

Post a Comment