Sunday, August 3, 2014

Lay's Cappuccino Flavored Potato Chip


The Lay's potato chip company is once again doing it's "Do us a Flavor" competition where they take fan suggestions for a new flavor and then have us pick which flavor will stick around for the next year. This year it's between Kettle Cooked Wasabi Ginger, Cheddar Bacon Mac & Cheese, Wavy Mango Salsa. I will be reviewing all of them, so I'm going to be sick of potato chips for while. 

I don't drink a lot of coffee. I almost never go to Starbucks. Even though my grandmother was Colombian, I've never wandered the mountainside with a donkey picking coffee beans. I really couldn't tell you if a cup of joe is from nice cafe or if it's the free coffee you get from Jiffy Lube. As long as it's caffeinated, and somewhat brownish to begin with, I'm ok with it. Once you open the bag, the smell is amazing. I could walk around all day taking big sniffs whenever I needed a pick me up. I wouldn't do that of course because it would look weird, but the smell just might make it worthwhile. The taste is where it falls down. Potatoes aren't meant to be sweet. Even if there was some sort mythical "sweet potato" out there, what would anyone do with it? Make a pie? The cappuccino flavor isn't bad per se, you can taste the coffee, cream and even a hint of cinnamon, it just doesn't work on a potato chip. It would be great on almonds or even a cookie, pretty much anywhere else. I understand why Lay's did it, they want people talking about their brand, but there has to be a better way.

Found at Giant

No comments:

Post a Comment