Friday, August 8, 2014

Portezuelo Alfajores de Uruguay


In Latin America there is a special treat known as an alfajor. While there are hundreds of variations, it basically consists of two (rarely three) crumbly cookies with a sweet layer, mostly dulce de leche but jam and mousse are also common and is frequently covered in chocolate, powdered sugar or in the Santa Fe province I was born, a type of merengue. My mother recently went to visit my aunt who is currently living in Uruguay, so I asked her to bring some alfajores, since they are difficult to find in Northern Virginia. To me they tasted like being a kid again, but to my coworkers they tasted like MoonPies filled with caramel instead of marshmallow. After soundly thrashing my coworkers for mistaking dulce de leche for caramel, I had to admit there is a certain similarity. If you find some, try them and definitely let me know where to get them, international travel is expensive.

Found in Uruguay (sorry, I don't have the name of the shop)
Donated by my mom.


No comments:

Post a Comment