Saturday, August 16, 2014

T.O. Williams Virginia Smoked Link Sausage



In nature certain animals have colors that warn other animals that they are dangerous, such as black and yellow stripes that let you know things will sting and poison you or that they are Charlie Brown. There is a similar process that when food is red you expect it to be hot.

When that food is so very bright red that it could be used to signal fertility in baboons, you expect it to be hot enough to vaporize your tongue. Once again my expectations are totally off. It's really quite mild. There is a heavy smoke flavor that isn't all that surprising since it's called a smoked link, and that probably contributes to the red coloring, although there are food dyes listed in the ingredients. The meat is finely ground so it has more of a hotdog consistency than a proper sausage. 
 The casing is rather thick, while I was cooking them I heard a startling pop come from the grill, when they finally burst. I'm not sure if I was supposed to eat the skin or try to peel it, so I went ahead and ate it. It tasted fine and as of this writing I am more or less still alive. If it does kill me, please let my tombstone be a warning to peel them before eating. But dignified, or as dignified as a warning from beyond the grave on safe sausage consumption can get. They aren't bad, but nothing really to write home about either, although since I'm writing about it right now, you can probably discard that advice as well.

Found at Shoppers

No comments:

Post a Comment